ART: ...and Craft.

From: IN%"al252@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" 28-JAN-1994 12:04:51.39
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: Art and Craft Distinction

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 08:23:00 -0500
From: Larry Boswell <al252@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Art and Craft Distinction
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I question whether it's useful to have distinctions between art
and craft, what purpose does it serve in the end? I think
most people would have similar gut reactions as to the craftiness
or artfulness of a given work. The danger of saying art is this,
and craft is this, is that we then start talking in terms of
near-art, and near-craft, and near-near-art, and so on ad nauseum.

Signposts indicating direction are probably a more useful
metaphor-- if a piece is purely (Ben will love this) utilitarian
function (purely underlined) or if it is a 'cloned' work repeated
in similar form and fashion again and again, it probably is in
the direction of Craft. If, however, a piece is unique, one-time
creation, it probably is closer to Art. Skill seems irrelevant
in relationship to this distinction. There are many crafts which
require a higher skill level than required for the arts

Larry