GENERAL: Computer Simulations.

From: IN%"URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" "Urban Planning Discussion List"
1-APR-1994 12:48:52.40
To: IN%"URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" "Multiple recipients of list
URBAN-L"
CC:
Subj: City Planning Simulations

Date: Fri, 1 Apr 1994 12:07:18 -0500
From: Kenneth Kolson <kkolson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: City Planning Simulations
Sender: Urban Planning Discussion List <URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Multiple recipients of list URBAN-L <URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Comments: To: [email protected]

I am preparing a paper for the annual meeting of the American Political
Science Association meetings in New York, September 1-4, 1994. The title of
the paper is "The Politics of City Planning Simulations."

The makers of SimCity, the award-winning city planning simulation, claim
that it "has found its way into classrooms that teach everything from third-
grade civics to Master's level courses in city planning." Considering the
technological sophistication of such computer simulations, it is worth
examining the political lessons built into such games and the lessons they
transmit about the politics of land use and urban development.

Thus, I am at present trying to collect information about

* what city planning simulators are currently on the market

* how extensively these simulators have been used in the
classroom, and by whom,

* the pedagogic value of these city planning simulators, and

* the existing literature on SimCity or on city planning
simulators generally.

My hope is that you can help on one of these fronts, either by referring
me to others who have used computer simulations to teach city planning or
urban politics courses, sharing your thoughts about your own experience, or
sharing with me any bibliographic materials pertinent to this subject.

I can be reached at kkolson@xxxxxxxxxxx. My daytime phone number at
the National Endowment for the Humanities is 202-606-8200 (fax: 202-606-8204).
Many thanks.

Ken Kolson