ART: Taking POLITICAL Control of Education.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 9-APR-1994
22:54:25.49
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: art & academia

Date: Sat, 9 Apr 1994 21:55:00 CDT
From: U20BXM1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: art & academia
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Larry suggested something in his latest posting that related the "insecruity"
of the artist vis-a-vis the scientist as being an academic concern. Hah!
I had not thought of that, and yet, it is true. Let me suggest for those of
you that exist in such a milieu how we handled the situation at my institution:
We took the power. Had nothing to do with the verbalized issues. Had nothing
to do with the relative value of art or science: had to do with resources and
the power to command them. We ignored the talk, never took the defensive,
got our votes together and took the power. Of course, we have a collegial
campus (by this I mean the essential power rests with the faculty). Not
long ago members of the College of Visual and Performing Arts held the
Presidency and Vice Presidency of the Faculty Senate. We have the President
of the Illinois Chapter of the AAUP in our School of Art. We have key players
on all the key committees. It is a matter of politics. Now, we do not hear
such talk about the relative lack of value of the arts. We give grants and
awards for "Research & Artistry." Larry's statement was a bolt of illumination
....the overt issue is one of political power. Yet, the real issues...the
fundmental issues of our time are those that we have been verbalizing. Some=
thing tells me, however, we should never take the defensive position in either
realm.
B e n M a h m o u d : U 2 0 B X M 1 @ M V S . C S O . N I U . E D U
(School of Art/Northern Illinois University/DeKalb/Ill./60115)