Re: Do You Know What an Architect REALLY Does?

> - - The original note follows - -

elision...

>How much of this has your school taught you? If all this seems like unknown
>territory, you have a lot to learn. Insist that your school teach you how to
>do these things. Too often, your school will have focused only on one thing -
>how to design. Students get very little exposure to the FACT that this is
>not the only thing that architects are required to do. In order to get and
>keep a job, you MUST know how to assist or perform the above tasks. If your
>school is not teaching you these things, you are being short-changed, and your
>school is misleading you in your education and not preparing you to be an
>architect. I'd love feedback on what your education experience has been. Let's
>insist together that schools teach us something we can actually use once we
>graduate.

>--
> Tammy Chambless | The Society for the
> tchambless@xxxxxxxxxx | Dissemination of
> (for more info e-m me) | Useful Knowledge

IMHO, the profession has the responsibility for teach this sort of mundane
administrative bureaucracy during the intern period prior to licensing. If
the schools devoted more time to thoughtful design, the profesion would be
better off. It is those who are being made to tolerate boring classes on
contract terminology and sequencing who are being shortchanged--that sort
of stuff can be handled by any office manager...