Re: Do You Know What an Architect REALLY Does?

OK, I expect that there would be lots of problems with the notion of
paid-internships, not the least of which would be the labor laws. But,
the accreditation problem is easily resolved. Somce combination of
tyhe University and professional accrediting boards could serve this
function well. Obviously, these organizations would be open to graft
and corruption, and there would be a need to regulate the regulators,
but that is no worse than it is now in that regard.

Another possibility - Extended education-in-the-field. Many schools have
coops systems which operate during session of the regular shool period,.
Students may work at "coop" jobs during the summer or on alternating
terms. They may recieve credit towards their educational degree for this
"coop" work if it is approved by a faculty member. Generally, these
programs are operated on a restricted basis and considered(usually) to
be a lesser part of the student's education, if at all.

The real probl;em that we are discussing is the transition of students from
the universities to the workplace. Currently, the process is anything
but smooth. Some mechanism needs to be provided to integrate the
post-education/internship/apprenticeship period with the formal education
period. Changes to this process can improve both sides of the operation,
both increasing the "core" education and improving the "vocational"
experience of the students.

I think we will be making a major mistake with we extend the university
education
by increasing "vocational training" at the sacrifice of solid education in
core subjects and theoretical foundations. There must be a better way,

- Ray Lauzzana