Re: Design Automation?

Wayde Justin Tardif <WAYDE%UTKVX.UTK.EDU@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I just read Ray L's response to some thread on "Intelligent CAD"/"Automated
>Design." What is he refering to when denoting "Automated Design," and what
>does CAD have to do with the actuality of design. I can understand it for
>the implimentation of design(s), but automating design via mechanical
>(OK, digital? You know what I mean), means?
>
>Any takers?

Peter Eisenman lectured at my University and he spoke highly of a
computer generated design of form. This completes his architecture and
chaos theory link in a physical manifestation. As I remember, he spoke
of changing equations and looking at the resulting forms, then modifying
these until they are programmable and habitable. An example was that
of a hotel/skyscraper in Hong Kong (?), where the form was generated
and the building was constructed...including multi-directional sloped
ramps and stairs. People would trip, everyone thought it was funny,
and Eisenman laughed.