Re: College Freshman Looking for Advice

- - The original note follows - -

From: Dillon J Lin <dl4u+@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: College Freshman Looking for Advice
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 1994 23:49:39 -0400

Hey there,

If price is a major concern for you, apply for finacial aide and see
if that will help. One of my fellow architecture studio-mate is
qualified for $20k and only pays $4k a year. One of the things CMU
tries to do is make the education here affordable to everyone qualified
to be here.

I don't know anything about UIUC's architecture program so I can't
really compare, but I can tell you what I know about the program here.

From day one you are fully immersed in concept and design. You
learn to take into account everything for the project (unless
specifically instructed to ignore). By the time freshman year is over,
you see the world a little differently, more carefully. You also leave
freshman year with basic drafting, inking, model making, and woodshop
skills. And these things aren't necessrily taught to you by the
instructors, rather you learn it from being in a close studio enviroment
where everyone contributes to the knowledge of everyone else. This sort
of learning continues throughout your ten semesters of studio.

Another intergral part of the education is the strong technical
background. You will learn to use various CAD, image editing, and
layout programs. A CAD lab with all these powerful programs will be at
your disposal. In the first year you will take Physics for Building
Science, an introductory class to physics and how physics is applied to
building design. Statics is taken in the second year. Fourth year is
when you take those mechanical design classes. Don't worry if you are
not a technophile, with a little effort you can get through the class
and even learn something. Basically, at some schools you learn to design
a building, but you come out with little knowledge of how it all works,
this won't happen here.

All in all, I am glad to be here. I have full confidence that I
will graduate from here prepared for the real world.

Dillon Jung Lin
dl4u+@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Carnegie Mellon University Architecture

| |