THE FIFTH COLUMN - Call for Articles

- - The original note follows - -

From: 5column@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (THE FIFTH COLUMN)
Subject: THE FIFTH COLUMN - Call for Articles
Date: 11 Jan 1995 23:11:24 GMT

THE FIFTH COLUMN, The Canadian Student Journal of Architecture, is calling
on the architectural community to contribute articles or projects for our
upcoming issue. THE FIFTH COLUMN is an independent journal published twice
a year by Canadian students of architecture.

I READ THE FOUNTAINHEAD....
volume nine, number two:
The Image of The Architect

I don9t intend to build in order to have clients. I intend to have
clients in order to build.
- Howard Roarke in THE FOUNTAINHEAD,

Fifty years ago Ayn Rand introduced Howard Roarke in her bestselling novel
The Fountainhead and since then architects have been trying to live up to
- or live down - the mystique of the profession which Roarke personified.
Throughout history the aura surrounding 3the architect2 implied genius,
creativity and integrity. Since The Fountainhead, other images ranging
from the 1949 movie adaptation of the novel to recent popular movies and
television sit-coms, have added to the collective consciousness. What are
the effects of these media representations upon the public9s views of
architects and upon architects9 own self-images? How accurate are media
depictions of architects? How do architects counter or reinforce
stereotypes to present themselves to the public, in a world where image
overpowers substance?

Deadlines for submissions is January 31, 1995

We publish in both English and French. Please send aritlces on mac disk,
or BinHex 4.0 conversion attachments, if possible. PMTs, and digital
images would also be appreciated. All material will be returned upon
request.

To contribute or for more information:
5column@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

or:

THE FIFTH COLUMN
McGill School of Architecture MacDonald-Harrington Building
815 Sherbrooke Street West Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 2K6

--
THE FIFTH COLUMN
MacDonald Harrington Building, McGill University