Re: Critique of Society

>Why is it that people might think that the discussion of aesthetics and the
>production of electronic wall paper, a la SP, is an effective critique of
>society? Most people don't read assemblage! Couldn't care less!
>I think Daivd Sucher might just be the more effective social critique, at
>least he is getting into the frey and kicking around a bit.
>
>John
>John Linke Heintz
>Faculteit der Bouwkunde E-mail: heintz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Technische Universiteit Delft Phone: (+31) 15 783996
>Berlageweg 1 Fax: (+31) 15 783740
>2624 Delft
>Netherlands

electronic wall paper??? your biases preceed you...

most people don't read ANYTHING about architecture. Those who do
inevitably have a virulent response to assemblage, either pro or con.
whatever you think of the journal, it has raised the level of the
discourse. the Sucheresque social critique of the sixties (with all its
[unacknowledged] marxist subtext) has been proven bankrupt--we need only
listen to the new Newt-onians to hear that message...resistance has been
institutionalized and is no longer efficacious. we need to find new models
of 'activism' (see jya's recent post), but a return to neo-traditonal
urbanisms is a dead end...
rma