Re: FCC DEADLINE IS/WAS 13FEB97!!!

Argh!

This thing is a mostly-false attempt to get the FCC mailbombed. Don't,
don't, don't e-mail unless you have first made yourself informed on the
matter!

The only possible result of mailbombing that address is to silence
input from folks like us, while leaving the telephone company lawyers
to be heard loud and clear.

ATT doesn't need e-mail to be heard in Washington. We do. Let's keep
the channel open!

Beyond that...

I spent some time researching this one and...what you've heard is
false. The FCC is *not* currently planning to impose a per-minute
charge on modem access, though some telephone companies have asked for
one; in fact, the FCC has apparently committed themselves to a
regulatory position which may substitute fixed charges for some
per-minute charges in the existing voice network.

>From FCC Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, FCC 96-488, section 283:

We make no specific proposals, and we tentatively conclude that the
existing pricing structure for information services should remain in
place at this time. In Section X, we issue a Notice of Inquiry to
examine various fundamental issues about the implications of usage of
the public switched network by information service and Internet access
providers.

Please, please, please do *not* e-mail them under the assumption that
they are planning to propose a per-minute charge; the posting of an
e-mail address is an--I assume--attempt to drown out public comment by
having their comment address mailbombed.

If you'd like to make comments on the matter, refer to

http://www.fcc.gov/isp.html

Which gives information on how to comment, and on what the current
proposals are.

312. We ask whether, after we complete reform of access charges as
contemplated in this proceeding, we should consider any additional
actions relating to interstate information services and the
Internet. We therefore initiate this Notice of Inquiry, with a
separate pleading cycle, to address these issues. Based on the record
the Access Reform Report and Order, we will determine whether to make
proposals in this area in a subsequent Notice of Proposed Rulemaking.

R.