[no subject]

and on a completely different topic, one of the things we wound up doing
while in rome a few weeks ago, since the apartment where we were staying
didn't have a computer, was visiting the easy internet cafe, a wonderful
place which rented terminals for internet access. a huge number of screens,
several hundred, in a no-nonsense, semi-wallpaper-inspired interior.
internet time is sold (fairly cheaply) in tweny minute blocks.

they've recently opened one in new york:

http://www.easyEverything.com/map/nyc.html

a very interesting inversion happening here. a medium which was working to
alter the traditional formula of community as being related to physical
space is now all of a sudden creating (by default, and in a limited way)
physical communities. there was a very interesting feeling of community
there (we visited the one in times square this past saturday night), though
admittedly, mainly in the time-buying line and concessions stand areas
(individuals remained firmly in their own worlds at their screens, though in
this context all in the same room, as opposed to scattered over the globe,
as the www is/was usually conceived. it was also interesting to scan a bank
of monitors in use: lots of email, much entertainment/music, some porno,
some design.

are there any statistics/breakdowns (john young) about how much time is
spent on what kind of activities on the internet?

RONALD EVITTS ARCHITECT
1201 Broadway, Room 503
New York, NY 10001-5405

212-679-7050 tel