that result can be an invention...

----- Original Message -----
From: lauf-s
Subject: Re: Coincidental data can also become a visual art work

Patrick, you addressed the relationship between invention and interpretation, but my point was that coincidences, by their innate nature,
but are coincidences natural and innate as you write ? is some co-incidence ( as the product of any kind of combination producing some effect, showing an impact on some other set of circumstancial events ) always the result of natural events ? and if so are those events really innate as born per se and should those be considered as normal events, always present , precharged or predestined ? are you comparing coincidence with predestination here ? the first is the result of some kind of aleatory combination, the second is not demonstrated except for religious believers.
........are not inventions.

Coincidences can be interpreted, but the coincidences I interpret are not my invention.

agree, but your interpretation (of anything you desire to analyse) produces a result: that result can be an invention, just as Edison interpreted, analyzed data or coincidences, combined those, produced a result, like a bulb. His invention. (even if another guy actually produced the result and was quite forgotten for not beeing as smart as Edison was...)

The diference between interpretation and invention is certainly fragile. think about an actor inventing daily new faces when interpretating Mac Beth on Old Vic's stage...

Also, I am not Otto the Great Virtual King of Bavaria. The Otto of THE ODDS OF OTTOPIA represents an extreme set of ex-human/ex-schizophrenic circumstances.

If I am anyone in this exercise, it's Rita Novel.

Yes. I understand where come my reference to the "Lazy lady" now... ( remember you introduced the lazy expression here .... :-)
Take care...
P.

--
The Design-L list for art and architecture, since 1992...