Re: Falling. Must we fall?

Sarah,
(pg. 303) "Our everyday falling evasion in the face of death is an
inauthentic Being-towards-death."

also

(pg. 295) ". . . proximally and for the most part Dasein covers up its
ownmost Being-towards-death, fleeing in the face of it. Factically, Dasein
is dying as long as it exists, but proximally and for the most part, it
does so by way of falling."

So it seems falling is essentially inauthentic.

Lastly,
(pg.298) "The cultivation of such a 'superior' indifference alienates
Dasein from its ownmost non-relational potentiality-for-Being [death]. But
temptation, tranquillization, and alienation are distinguishing marks of
the kind of Being called "falling." As falling, everyday
Being-towards-death is a constant fleeing in the face of death."

Though I misspoke (miswrote) when I suggested that authenticity amounts to
indifference, I meant that authenticiy amounts to resoluteness in the face
of death (and the anxiety which comes with it). Considering the above
passages, my question remains.

BTW, what are you going to be covering in your seminar on Heidegger next
semester? I'm in the philosophy department here at Yale as well.....Ethan

Ethan Leib (Yale '97).....ethan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Man is timid and apologetic; he is no longer upright; he dares not say "I
think," "I am," but quotes some saint or sage.
-Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

  • Re: Falling. Must we fall?