Re: est/The Forum

> Landmark Education, the current incarnation of Werner Erhard and
> Associates, and his previous companies, openly acknowledge Heidegger and
> even read quotes from his writings in several of their courses. I don't
> know when you did the Forum, but I took one the last est trainings in 1984,
> and one of the first Forums in '85. Around that time a Chilean linguistic
> philospher named Fernando Flores teamed with Werner and another phiospher
> named Arnold Seigel to revamp Erhard's courses.
>
> The Forum, from the outside, is described as being ontologically based, and
> grounded in being. Quite fascinating is the work the Flores brought to
> table which deals with listening, and how we are thrown (a Heideggarian
> term) into body or background of listeners, with an all-ready-always way of
> being (or way interpreting the world. I believe Heidegger refers to the
> "they". Thrown from the past. The work of the Forum is to train people to
> be present. To be authentic, and to generate their existence in the
> present, by living as their word, rather than live from the past.

I don't know much about EST or The Forum, but I've come across Flores
before in another context. Flores co-wrote a book on software design
that delves in hermeneutics and Heidegger's thoughts on ontology:

Computers and Cognition.
Fernando Flores and Terry Winograd,
Reading, Mass., Addison-Wesley, 1987.

Terry Winograd was a pioneer in "Artificial Intelligance" who
turned to Heidegger after the rational/logical approach of
mainstream AI failed to produce "intelligent" software. There's
an essay by him, "Heidegger and the Design of Computer Systems",
in the recently published book:

Technology and the Politics of Knowledge.
Edited by Andrew Feenberg and Alastair Hannay,
Bloomington, Indiana University Press, 1995.

hope this is of interest to someone,
Pete
http://www.webcom.com/paf/pete.html