Re: translation help wanted

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Martin Weatherston wrote:

> (This is a reposting of a query that doesn't seem to have gone out.
> Apologies if you have received this twice).
>
> On page 8 of Beitraege, there is a passage that puzzles me. The passage
> reads:
>
> "Niemand versteht was "ich" _denke_: aus der _Wahrheit des Seyns_ (und
> d.h. aus der Wesung der Wahrheit) das _Da-sein_ entspringen lassen, um
> darin das Seiende im Ganzen und als solches, inmitten seiner aber den
> Menschen zu gruenden."

I'd think it to be the following:

"...: to let arise Da_sein out of the _truth of Beyng_ (i.e. out of the
essencing of truth), in order to ground therein the being [all being] as
a whole and as such, [and] [to ground] man in its midst."

The "aber" does not serve to mark a contradiction but puts emphasis on
the particular ("in the midst"). The reference of the "seiner" in the
German text is not clear, as it could be either _the truth of Beyng_ (Is
this spelling for the translation of "Seyn" common?) or "being as a whole
and as such." I somehow suspect that the reference is to the latter, but
can give no reason for this impression.

Ignacio Choi

Department of Comparative Literature
SUNY Stony Brook