Re: Heidegger and Mathematics

>Emma Rooksby recently wrote:
>
>>The simultaneous apparent order and
>>entropy inherent in 'chaos theory' is an example of mathematics meeting
>>uncertainty, as is Heisenberg's principle.

(I never received the original posting, but...)

It's worth pointing out that that chaos theory - a theory of non-linear
dynamics - is completely unrelated to such things as the uncertainty
principle - a thoroughly linear theory. And as was said, chaos theory has
nothing to do with the Greek sense of chaos, but is rather a very strict
mathematical theory of dynamics which is just monsterously complicated. (As
well, the connection between entropy and chaos is not yet understood.)

(Unrelated to the main point, I know, but it's worth clarifying due to the
generally misleading popular press.)

-jeff