RE: Husserl/Heidegger

Dear Toad,
Thank you so much for the wonderful email. By 'wonderful', I mean that you
have shared difficult decisions in reference to aging parents, questions for
intellectual stretching, and concerns about parenting. It is a good sampling
of questions floating about regarding mortality...
Questions of mortality ought always to be present with us because it is the
edge against which we may measure what is best in our responses. Heidegger
hit on something. Heidegger intriqued me because this is one of the
significant matters he hit on. Levinas hit on something. This is also the
something he hit on, only with variation; therefore, he intriques me also.
The first question, it seems to me, is, 'I die. You die. Now, how do we
live?'.
In terms of 'the Good', I dont think we "effect" it. We participate, we
try to participate, in it. We strive toward it, we attempt to discover it,
we try to intuit it. But we do not "effect" it. We may bring it to the
fore of human lives, but we don't make it better nor can we destory it
(although we can so cover it over that it may appear that way). It is
'Good' largely because it is what gives value, reflects what is valued best,
and announces what is best, in living a human life, in being a human. It is
good because it does not matter what race, religion, age, sex, or economy,
one finds oneself within; it is Good because it is Good for living a human
life. This is the reason we can not effect it; it is beyond our petty bias,
slight of brain, and period of development. To live it wholly we would not
be beleaguered by the three previous states of affairs, which would mean we
were perfect humans and we are not perfect humans, and there never was one,
and there never will be. So, here we sit chasing 'the Good' (lot like
chasing rainbows).
I think, Ley, that the best we ever can do is to be sensitive. That means
taking another's position, being compassionate, being thoughtful,
reflecting, striving to eliminate suffering that is only suffering and
nothing further, caring with our whole heart, leaving our own feelings of
slight with the petty stuff of the day, understanding that the other
(whoever that may be and in whatever text one might put that) is not us but
is not that different from us. It is a list as long as a mile. Because
being sensitive does not simply mean the ability to have one's feeling hurt
easily; in fact it doesn't even include that. Being sensitive is to
understand that you can't gather it all in...and therefore you are going to
be insensitive at times. It is important not to be mean, although you may
be insensitive; being mean is to be self centered because you feel slighted.
Being insensitive means you simply have missed something that you ought to
have caught. There is a big difference between the two. Being mean is to
be thoughtful of what one is saying or doing; being insensitive is being
thoughtless. I have been mean once in my life and that was enough to haunt
me for a lifetime. I was extemely close to being mean a second time, and
that was crushing to my very soul. Everyone has the capability of being
mean; the question isn't can I be, but do I want to continue to go toward
it? The answer must be 'no'. Being sensitive is a moral question, it is a
question of participation in what is Good, in 'the Good'. Being sensitive
rests on the acknowlegement of one's mortality, keeping that acknowledgement
close to one's heart opens up the possiblity of intuiting 'the Good'.
Does this make sense? Thank God one does not have to wear a stripe suit
to think about matters of human siginificance!
Cabby will be 18. A major mile stone. She will cross it. You ought to
craft, with care and concern, love and faith, a ceremony for her passage. I
strongly suggest this as a rite of passage. I do this with my children and
Jane's. I just celebrated John's passage to 20. He cried. He felt the
movement into adulthood with all its hurts, responsibilites, and
possbilities, that a young person can note. I wish I could be there for
this moment. I am terribly sad that I can not. If there is one time I
would want to be there it is this. I again am diminished for my distance...
I must go now, write soon and share your life and your thoughts; they are
so rich and I miss them terribly. love ever, frog