Re: Ueberwindung/Verwindung

Dr. Michael Eldred wrote:

>Apart from the 'winden' cognates, *verwinden* can also mean 'to get over', as
>in
>when you get over the pain of losing a loved one. Thus you have the contrast
>overcoming/getting over for Ueberwindung/Verwindung. It's not a matter of
>overcoming, surmounting metaphysics and leaving them behind, but getting over
>them in the sense of assuming another historical relationship towards the
>metaphysical tradition. Getting over could also imply a transition, an
>undecided
>passage, relapses (like getting over pneumonia), a co-existing of old and new.
>Getting-over also implies painfully taking leave of the spoilt ideals of
>metaphysics. Twisting free is more liberating, getting out into the open,
>making
>a fresh start (the other beginning).

I like this interpretation of 'Verwindung' as 'getting-over' very much,
though its 'wenden' root gets lost in translation ... always a difficulty
with translating Heid. into English, the subtle and sober play with roots
can easily be lost. 'Twisting free' does imply the liberatory aspect
Michael mentions, but I'd like to place particular emphasis on 'twisting':
as one twists free from confinement, from a net or a mesh of
*selbstverstaendlich* metaphysics which impedes more originary access to
the (temporizing, historizing) presencing of what is present. Such twisting
requires considerable effort and energy, and may indeed be painful, to the
point of resignation or relapse.
Cheers,
Paul Murphy