re: Ueberwindung/Verwindung

Michael Eldred recently:

>I don't see how Verwindung could be construed as 'restoration' at all.
>'Twisting
>free' is one good translation

<snip>

>*verwinden* can also mean 'to get over', as in
>when you get over the pain of losing a loved one.

Dear Michael & others

I've had a few glasses of wine, it's hot, and i'd like to beg some
indulgence. You see, I cannot quite let this business of the interpretation
of the El-dred-ed Verwindung go yet. I cannot get over it (meaning 'getting
over'). Of course, I am assuming we are speaking of the Verwindung of
metaphysics. In the text 'Overcoming Metaphysics' in the volume 'The End of
Philosophy', Joan Stambaugh (translator) goes out of her way to remind us
that:

"Although Heidegger uses the familiar word Uberwindung for 'overcoming', he
means it in the sense of the less familiar word Verwindung.... When
something is overcome in the sense of being verwunden, it is, so to speak,
incorporated."

When something is let go of it it self is not changed, it is perhaps passed
by, cast into oblivion, dis-associated, left behind, escaped from,
by-passed (by-past?). The some thing we are concerned with is not a thing,
is metaphysics, is the rule of things in thinking and thinging. The
business of the overcoming, whether ueber- or ver- windung, of metaphysics
is of crucial importance in the thinking of Heidegger, and thus it behoves
us to critically attend the business of overcoming/getting over/twisting
free. Heidegger says:

"Metaphysics cannot be abolished like an opinion. One can by no means leave
it behind as a doctrine no longer believed and represented."

Metaphysics can not be passed over (like an overpass that passes over
another road), cannot be cast a-side (like a bad joke), cannot be gotten
over (like getting over a cold or the pain of loss), cannot be twisted free
>from (like twisting free from some nasty habit). It follows with the
passing over, the getting over, the twisting free; it comes along for the
ride (in the guise of having been passed over, the kind of passing over
that sees itself as having twisted free but only in the sense of
metaphysical passing and twisting) - this is how metaphysics be-comes: it
comes along, it perdures into the breaks and shifts that attempt and
proclaim their twisting free (from metaphysics).

The connotations of getting over and twisting free are perhaps too entwined
in the letting go, in the leaving be, in the passing by. These senses of
Verwindung do not involve much of a taste of changing or transforming or
even bringing along. Heidegger says:

"Overcoming is worthy of thought only when we think about incorporation....
Overcoming is the delivering over of metaphysics to its truth.
At first the overcoming of metaphysics can only be represented in terms of
metaphysics itself, so to speak, in the manner of a heightening of itself
through itself."

A delivering over into its truth is no mere getting over or twisting free.
Incorporation as a delivering over (to its truth) that initially appears as
a sharpening and an extremification (of its non-delivery, of its falsehood,
its un-truth, its concealedness).

In line with this, could we suggest that some sense of the word Verwindung
in its relation to metaphysics could include a note of bringing-along (of
revealing the structure (dare I suggest some echo of Althusser in his
exhilarating 'Reading Capital' where he installs the idea of a symptomatic
reading whereupon elements of the un-thought are thought (out/through) and
revealed in the reading?)).

Surely we do not just get over the Ge-stell: we a-wait the saving power, we
think the Verwindung of completed metaphysics (the frame, the set-up): the
e-ventuation (the appropriation, the a-waited destining that is not
waited-for). This delivery service, this initial intensification, this
bringing along as an incorporation: cannot be gotten over.

No more wine.

Good night thinkers.

MP