Re: Art & Metaphysics

Robert Scheetz writes:

>Paul Murphy:
>"... poetry institutes, gives rise to institutions which order
>"and give meaning to everyday existentiell life. Modernity crucially
>"lacks such instituting -- the gods have flown, as it were --
>
>1) So art is a structuring, an (quint)essentializing, reifying,
>an hypostasizing of value, metaphysic. That is to say truth/goodness/beauty
>are indistinguishable, triune; and so metaphysic/art/ethics...;
>Socrates/Plato/Aristotle are implicit in Homer...are all one text.
>So how deprecate metaphysics and not art?

I'm not sure if 'deprecation' is Heidegger's strategy. I'd also hesitate to
use words like 'reify' or 'hypostatize' here -- instituting (stiften) opens
up a primordial relationship to Being, in such a way as to let the
manifestation or presencing of being come forth for human being. Hence
Dichten is not simply an act of constructing pretty verses but is defined
(essentially) as poiesis, Hervorbringung, bringing-forth. How thinking
relates itself to poetizing is a twisted issue ... Heid. asserts in GA39
that poetry institutes, whereas thinking grounds; 'stiften' vs. 'gruenden'
(and the versus, the gegen, perhaps should not be thought along the lines
of a strictly antagonistic model, organized by the law of the excluded
middle; moreover, the Platonic banishment of the poets from the polis ought
to be avoided). Any thoughts on Dichten und Denken? (This was a question on
my comps which I timidly avoided...).

>2)Mythopoesis is a fundamental structure of human existence, as much
>for modern as primitive man. Our Enlightment faith in science &
>technology is every bit as numinous and god-filled a worldview. Doesn't H's
>demonizing it prove as much?

'Demonizing'? Perhaps 'daimonizing' would be a better substitute, unlocking
the uncanny daimon of the essence of technology so that thinking can be
called upon. 'Mythopoesis' is no immutable structure of human existence, to
the extent that the bringing forth of the mythos, the Sage, undergoes
tranfiguration through the epochs of the history of Being.
Cheers,
Paul N. Murphy
University of Toronto