Art & Metaphysics

Paul Murphy,

I hope you'll indulge me a few naive quibbles.

"...instituting (stiften) opens up a primordial relationship to Being,..."

Setting aside metaphors about clearings in the woods, etc.,
that formalizing should afford access to the pre-formed, is a difficult
proposition, no? ...form = chaos??? difficult to transcend a proneness to
see dialectic, not identity? And the concept of chaos ("primordiality")
itself, is it not pure metaphysical myth. It seems we are dealing in
paradoxical metaphorical linguistic constructs of cosmic purport...
or, in a word, "myth".

"...poetry institutes,"

That's Shelley's (i.e. Romanticism's) famous boast...
upon which the Bonapartes of this existence perrennially
put the definitive bloody kibosh.

"...whereas thinking grounds;"

Why isn't this backwards? Don't we legislate by abstraction
and concretize by poetry?

"Any thoughts on Dichten und Denken? "

My layman's view is a theory of dialectic...and the intuition
that once upon a time they were a unity, and strive perpetually to
regain that unalienated conflict-free condition of innocence.
What, in my simplicity,I find so difficult is a seeming willful
perversity in H to exploit the Dichten genre under the rubric Denken,
the while disparaging the thesis historically identified by the latter word.
...Hermeneutical brilliance aside, why aren't H's extreme pretentions
labeled (after Socrates) rhetorical legerdemain? sophistry?

Thanks!

  • Representation and Reality
    • From: Eric E Thomson