RE: Another twist on overcoming

Rafael Capurro writes:

>Paul Murphy:
>do you see any difference between the Ge-Stell of modern technology
>and, what I call, the 'Information Ge-Stell'? I know Heideggers late
>reflections on the distinction between language as poetry and
>language as information. But does it make any difference in the case
>of the Web? Is this a kind of 'weak technology' as Vattimo would say?
>is it ein Aufblitzen des Ereignisses?

I honestly don't have much to say on this question (my familiarity with Dr.
Vattimo's work is scant). The preface to Wegmarken makes some dark
allusions to the oncoming information retrieval system as the future of
scholarship, further undercutting the possibility of thinking (and of the
possibility of thinking upon the word); whether Heid. was anticipating the
advent of the internet is an outstanding issue.

>what is the meaning of Hs
>'metaphor' concerning the 'negative' (in a photographic sense)?
>Rafael

I presume you are referring to the claim from the Vier Seminare, where das
Ge-stell is described as the photographic negative of das Er-eignis. This
'metaphor' has always intrigued me -- it's another expression on
Heidegger's behalf of the saving which grows within the danger, the hint or
intimation of the turning in Being. Thinking reflectively upon the
enframing as the essence of technology presumably 'exposes' this essence,
'developing' the history of Being so its features and contours might be
descried. At the conclusion of "Die Frage nach der Technik", it is clear
that art performs this role of exposing the negative; information retrieval
systems (if the internet is such a thing) would perhaps only exacerbate the
oblivion to the essence of technology.

Best regards,
Paul N. Murphy