Re: filter and heritage

>is the quest for stable knowledge a metaphysical illusion?

Rafael,

I would like to bring to your attention another text of G. Vattimo that
might help you regarding the above question. From one of his latest books "
Oltre l'Interpretazione"( Laterza, Bari) the chapter " La Scienza" is very
important.

If for "stable knowledge" we mean scientific knowledge, following Heidegger,
we have to say that it is metaphysical. Science contributes to the reduction
of the world to that chain of cause and effects that makes it more
manipulative by us human beings. But at the same time Science exceeds it
own metaphysicsal essence ( or metaphysics autodeconstructs itself, to say
it in Nietzschean terms) and the science-technique dissolves the
metaphysical characteristics of the subject and of Being and according to
Vattimo" becomes the principal agent of a nihilistic transformation of the
meaning/direction of Being, and .. a positive preparation of a world in
which there are no more facts, only intrepretations" ( OI pag.33)

In modern technology, for example,in the "virtual un/reality" of computer
informatique ( David Lochhead 95), the world becomes a fable. And as
Nieztsche says with the real world also the apparent world disappears.

Therefore, coming back to your question " is the quest for a stable
knowledge a metaphysical illusion?"

The answer is: yes and no.

Marta

Marta Frascati