Re: truth & rhetoric

owner-heidegger-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> heidegger-digest Sunday, 15 September 1996 Volume 01 : Number 184
> From: robert scheetz <76550.1064@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 14 Sep 96 23:18:37 EDT
> Subject: Truth & Rhetoric
>
> I mistakenly deleted the cue, "revelation/theology", I wanted;
> so forgive the omission of attribution.
>
> The reason why H is so deja vu'ie is that so much of his "thinking
> being" seems secularized (or "death of god", or "onto-")Christian theology
> (mysticism, gnosticism, etc.).
>
> The notion of Truth qua aletheia is, of course, at bottom,
> the familiar one of "revelation", "epiphany", "insight",
> Saul en route to Damascus, etc. This "Truth" is granted only
> to the select few (among which, I gather, some of us are not).
>
> Similarly, apropos the "rhetoric" question, H's language clearly
> strains after hieratic effect and soteriological earnest.
>
> Of course, this is all reasonable enough,...in a sense doing a
> cognate thing with Bultman. There's only the problem of H's
> claiming a "radical departure" from this, what he calls the
> "Western metaphysical" tradition.
>
> Anyway, I find Chris Morrissey's and Michael Staples' skepticism
> hermeneutically heuristic.
>
> Bob Scheetz
>
> --- from list heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ---
>
> ------------------------------

Excuse me.

". . . when Heidegger denies that being itself is an entity, he is also
excluding the possibility of its being understood as what we ordinarily
mean by the notion of a property of an entity. From the lectures of the
period we also know that being as such is prior to the fateful
distinction that Western philosophy has made between being as essence
and being as existence-a distinction that, in Heidegger's view, preempts
any further inquiry into the unitary sense of being as such that it
presupposes."

Please pardon my slowness. I am trying to keep up, honestly! Is what I
have quoted the same as the "'Western metaphysical' tradition" you
referenced above?

Cordially,
D.A.E.