Re: Canada's Shame

Actually this juridical process can serve 2 ways. For instance the
aboriginal population has on their reserve lands instituted it's own
'policing' system, and methods of correction. This benefits the 'wrong doer'
in many cases because in criminal law most offenders found guilty are
sentenced to prisons for their first crime. Those convicted often are not
corrected, but rather punished, and they continue in a life of escalating
crime. Whereas in the native justice system the wrong doer [often a
teenager] is allowed within the reserve lands and community to continue to
live there but with strict controls, and disciplining, rather than
punishment for a crime, in the larger Canadian system, wrong doers are often
never corrected, and educated. Of course the crimes have to be minor in
nature for the native justice system to be effective. Serious crimes of
course would end up in the Supreme or Provincial Courts.

In the Sharia model of the Islamic faith, the Canadian Criminal Code would
not be used for the 'trying' and 'trial' but rather 'civil codes' like
family relations items. So that has already been in practice here in Canada
and it does not mean 'stoning' or 'amputation' but rather 'division of
family assets', etc., after a permanent separation.

Anyway how is 'guilt' established? Neglect a kid, and they turn to their
peers for leadership and role modeling. Is that the fault of the community
or is it the fault of the kid? So who needs to be 'corrected' for a crimes
like minor property damage or minor theft or being caught toking on an
'illegal' smoke?

Thrusting the young offender into a minimum security prison for 4-6 months
does not correct, and it is a form of punishment. So why?

Lacking a conscience according to Heidegger shows as not having any guilt.
Having felt guilt is the opposite, wanting to have a conscience. In cases of
theft under $500 we see the provincial court judge sentence young offenders
who are repeat criminals to 2 years less a day. But who is really guilty and
who is really the criminal? Is their parents at fault if they are under 21,
or is it the community? Why would they think it was acceptable? Recently
some 12-13 year olds in Ontario were robbing convenience stores. They did
this crime repeatedly with the assistance of small 2 way radios, and
mountain bikes at night. The RCMP originally believed that their was a very
sophisticated crime network, but one thing was wrong with this hypothesis:
the robbers were not very big. So they asked some school children about the
appearance of any 'money' and 'stolen goods' in the schools. This was where
they got their lead: the kids were selling cigarettes or something.

Basically these kids were doing the crimes for 'recognition' and 'status'.
All they need to learn is to find recognition and meaning doing something
more community minded.

chao

john