Re: all or nothing at all, part X

In a message dated 04/11/2004 01:20:59 GMT Standard Time, janstr@xxxxxxx
writes:

Hi Jud,

in your conversation with Michael you wrote i.a.:

>..... because *something* ALWAYS existed and always will.
>..... the fact that X exists as X.

>..... Objects/forcefields simply exist in the differing ways that they
exist.
>..... an object exists in the way that exists
>..... correspond to the way that an object exists in the way it exists.

>..... An entity [an entitic being] exists in the way that it exists,

I find your descriptions and formulations here have a rather religious
and transcendentalists connotation. They strongly remind me of the
name of the God of Moses: YHWH, "I exist in the way I exist", "I am
that I am", "I shall be who I shall be" [Exodus 3:14].

yours,
Jan

Jud:
Well spotted Jan - there is a remarkable similarity. That is why the
biblical phrase carries so much impact. Because like my formula it is perfect
tautology - given that one accepts that objects exist. It too is a perfect
statement that is necessarily true, given that one accepts that God exists.
Four things militate against the biblical version though.

(a) Everyone agrees that objects exist.
(b) A decreasing amount of people in Europe - though an increasing amount of
people in USA believe that God exists.
(c) There is no *I am* in Aramaic.
(d) The objects to which I refer are actual objects - the spectacle case in
my hand - the mouse in yours.
*God* has no nominatum - the word *God* points to an idea in the human mind,
rather than to a hard, knock-on-the-wall object.
Like *Being,* *God* is an instantiation of *object giveness* without an
object to negotiate the givenness. God is an ontological bride left at the
ontological altar without a human father to give her away.
In that way there is nothing *religious* or *transcendental about a steel
nail existing in the way that it exists - I could show it to you - drive it
into Bushes skull with the help of Heidegger's ready-to-hand -hammer - but I
couldn't put my hand up God's trouser-leg and twang the elastic in his
underpants.

Regards,

Jud

Personal Website:
_http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/index.htm_
(http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/index.htm)
E-mail Discussion List:
nominalism@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--- StripMime Warning -- MIME attachments removed ---
This message may have contained attachments which were removed.

Sorry, we do not allow attachments on this list.

multipart/alternative
text/html
---