ART: Time and Space. Cubism and Relativity.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 11-MAY-199
2
12:01:32.82
To: Howard Lawrence <[email protected]>
CC:
Subj: RE: Hypermedia

Date: Mon, 11 May 1992 09:59:00 EDT
From: [email protected]
Subject: RE: Hypermedia
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <[email protected]>

I want to thank Bob for passing on the message from Chris. There are a great
many interesting issues to think about in that note.
Kern wrote a very good book about THE CULTURE OF TIME AND SPACE 1880-1918 when
we had our last great period of sweeping changes. People then also felt speeded
up due to all the new technologies...railroads, steamships, automobiles,
telephones, wireless telegrph, x-ray, cinema, bicycles, and airplanes. Life was
directly transformed by Cubism and the theory of relativity and like today
living requires a new sensibility. Artists involved in trying to incorporate
cultural changes as sweeping as those during that period had as much difficulty
finding their way as we do now. Cubism was so very difficult for the public
to understand. Cubists referred to time, whereas with our technology we can
literally control it and also give that control over to another within a given
space. At any rate I think the biggest difference between then and now is that
the time was hopeful and people embraced change. Now it seems fightening and
disconcerting. We realize that change can be very harmful such as the environ-
mental effects we now have due to past technological developments. This fact
makes many fearful of all change. Since the world is in such flux, I think
it may be one of many issues that spurs the public toward more traditional
art.
Ruth