ART: Of Native Americans, Chicago, Illinois.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 21-SEP-1993
08:48:08.57
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: Chicago Indians

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 07:39:59 -0500
From: David Ward <draw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Chicago Indians
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Just a little history tidbit... the Indians in Chicago on Michigan Avenue
were done by Ivan Mestrovic, a Yugoslavic sculptor. He decided to use that
commission as a demonstration to his classes in Zagreb. His best pupils built
the huge wooden and iron armatures to support the clay. The 20 foot sculptures
were enlarged from four foot plaster models. They had to dig a hole one story
deep on the grounds of the Art Academy to bury and brick the oven around the
pieces for burnout and casting by lost-wax. They even made a series of movies
during the preparation and casting. --- Heads and Tales, Malvina Hoffman, 1936

I saw the sculptures in Chicago in summer 1988 and while I was impressed by
the size and the majestic poses, I was bothered by the over stylization. I am
part Indian and thought that a more naturalistic approach would be a more
fitting monument to our Native American heritage and culture.

David Ward
(glad to see the list awakening)