Re: Architecture Schools

Seems to be some hot tempers on the Architectural Schools front--
Hell, and I didn't even go to Berkley. I was speaking to a self-employed
practicing M.I.T. grad yesterday, and he was telling me about things a few
years back. He mentioned that M.I.T. and Berkley were both powerhouses in
the 70's and they had daughter connections with the Universities of
Wahington (Seattle) and Oregon. M.I.T. and Berkley have since wilted a
little, and Washington and Oregon have grown nicely on those theoretical
coattails. I personally am looking for a school that is begining to
mature, like a SCI-ARC or a Washington. The only powerful research tool
I've found is the philosophy statements published in some listings of
North American Arch. Schools. Other than that it is locale, money,
possibilities for T.A.-ships, size of class, and word-on-the-street that I
see how one can judge a school. Call places, babble on the internet,
write away, chat with profs... do whatever you can to avoid the
pre-packaged bull-**** that schools portray. I think the admissions
criteria tell a lot about a school-- M.I.T. wants to hear about your
possible thesis topics in your personal statement. Apparently, one of the
things M.I.T. still retains is a very strong student body. Good Luck to
all in search of a home.

"The jug is a thing. What is the jug? ...The potter makes the earthen
jug out of earth that he has specially chosen and prepared for it. The
jug consists of that earth. ...The jug is a thing as a vessel-- it can
hold something. ...The emptiness, the void is what does the vessel's
holding. The empty space, this nothing of the jug is what does the
vessel's holding. The empty space, this nothing of the jug, is ahet the
jug is as the holding vessel. ...But if the holding is done by the jug's
void, then the potter who forms the sides and bottom on his wheel does
not, strictly speaking, make the jug. He only shapes the clay. No-- he
shapes the void."

Martin Heidegger in The Thing: from Poetry, Language, Thought-- pp 166-69

John Pohorylo
Tufts University Senior
jpohor41@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Searching for a home.