Re: Architecture and Electricity

>Regarding East German water lines running above ground:

The thought of running water lines above grade in Germany raises more
questions than that of running water lines above ground in Florida and
other warm climates - that is, how do you keep the water pipes from
freezing. Above grade water lines are quite a familiar site in numerous
locations, but generally in warmer climates. This reminds me of a cute
story.

A close friend of mine moved to England and purchased a small mews house.
When he was having some renovation work done, he asked the plumber why they
ran the water pipes outside of the buildings rather than inside as is the
custom in the US. The plumber replied: "So we can get to the pipes easier
when they freeze."

Probably the more reasonable response has to do with the fact that the
water pipes were added to these masonry structures after they were built.
In general, we often find that exposed piping is much more appropriate in
other parts of the world than it is in the US. Anyone who has traveled
abroad has probably observes the polished copper pipes that are left
exposed in most public toilet rooms. In the US, we hide our coppoer pipes,
but then we exert ourselves to polish our copper bottom cook wear so we can
leave it exposed.

And didn't Edison run his electric lines underground?