Re: Do You Know What an Architect REALLY Does?

Robert,
A little more on this. It may be mundanem, and it may be bureaucratic,
and it may be boring, but in this day and age of litigation, a cool,
whiz-pow design doesn't amount to a hill of caca if 1)it can't be built,
and 2)if built, it falls down.

Code compliance, gathering samples, etc. is ALL part of what an architect
does. If he or she doesn't care about these things, he or she doesn't
care about the best interests of his/her clients or the building's users.
What's the point of that?

Personally, I think six hour juries watching my fourteen classmates present
projects I already understand to a bunch of ego-tripping profs who like
to hear themselves talk is every bit as boring as ANY tech or practice
course.

Don't get me wrong; I love to design, but once the hammers and wood start
flying, design is OVER and C.A. begins. Contractors just HATE architects
who decide to redesign stuff while it's being built...

Well, actually they LOVE it, 'cause they get to charge a bajillion dollars
for the change order---and the owners just REALLY hate THAT!

If a practice class or a tech class or two will help prevent that, I'm all
for it.

Mark