After Being and Time

From: Laurence Paul Hemming[SMTP:llh21@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 27 April 1996 07:45

<<Dear Jacob -

I wonder if you are not being a little too cavalier with your assertions
and distinctions?

Heidegger did *not* say "Being and Time failed", he said something rather
different, and we do well to pay the most careful attention to what that
something is.>>

I'm prepared to go along with all of that. However, myself, I'm more
interested however in what exactly H. did say about what I thought better
called - a fundamental re-orientation in respect of the B & T program. In
whatever way you want to gesture towards this move in H's thinking - it's
this I'm interested in.

Two very general points:
1. How does H's attitude to the scientific status of phenomenology alter in
the period after B & T.
2. In B & T the question of Being seems to concern working out an explicit
conceptual _understanding_ of Being (as against say, the vague average
understanding). In ways ways does this program become re-orientated after B
& T.

Cheers,
Jacob Knee