cybernetical difference

On 8 July 1996 Jan Straathof wrote:

>On 8 July 1996 Michael Eldred wrote:
>
>--------snip-----------
>
>>A shepherd is not a technician, does not bring forth into
>>the clearing of beyng but instead protects the clearing in which beings as
>>such
>>can appear.
>
>although ?
>Isn't it plausible to look at the unity of "the sheepdog & the herd" as a
>cybernetic system, completely dependent on the guidance of the shephart ?
>(the shepherd as the artist of Mitsein)

This interesting observation brings us into the fold of the un-folding of
the question of the meaning of techne with particular re-spect to current
and ancient under-standings of the meanings of cybernetics. In the modern
sense, cybernetics and its progeny - computer science, arty-ficial
intelligentsia, the net... has to do with systematic control and
communication in living beings - them selves seen as (examples of) control
and communication systems. Thus cybernetics and its progeny embues the
animal (and in particular, the human animal) with the 'spirit' of the
control system that functions through communication (with its
others-than-it-selves and intra-entity-wise with it self as
parts-of-it-self-as-a-whole). To cut this short, to snip, such a 'spirit'
is that of the techno-logical view of techne and logos and continues the
notion of the human as the control-freak, the button-pushing lip-smacking
dominating animale rationale who has wiped the nietzschean horizon away
where all are falling...

A short geo-logical time ago, kubernetes meant steersman, helmsman, guide.
In some sense the 'system' of sheepdog&herd is guided/steered by the
shepherd, but as a 'system' it is geared to maximising or optimising some
end/goal/purpose that can be max'd or opt'd. (The metaphor of?) dasein as
the shepherd of Being that protects the clearing for the be-ing of beings
is surely not geared to some kind of maximising (of what?); in stead I want
to suggest this non-image is not geared at all. This techne, this kuber,
may well be constrained, horizoned but is not 'out-for' (although it is
'out-of-it') control but for opening (up clearings) not
in-order-to-do-this-or-that. You might say it is the provision of access
(the path is formed by walking it - techne as responding, not making).
Shepherding (of Being) as kubernetes as Being- service-provision, opening
co-nections... This is silly. But we should think techne in the dark light
of its be-coming as the cyber-X (insert your favourite value for X) - it
does seem to me that the cybernetic view of kubernetes (the technological
view of techne) is an opposite of opening-clearing: it un-dis-closes
through control of means-ends. The light that darkens.

Jan's thought perhaps should lead us to think the re-storation, the
re-membering, the re-clamation of kubernetes (the current) with kubernetes
(the ancient) as our guide and see - what gives...

Bye

MP