Re: Primacy of poetry/language/myth

Chris Rickey writes:

>That's sweet, but despite differences in tone, the 1934 "H=F6lderlin" and
>that from later are really very similar. The Grundstimmung of the earlier
>lecture, despite its often martial sounds, is "der heilige Trauer." What
>this attunement is supposed to attune our thinking (An-denken) to is the
>flight of the gods. Since the gods come to presence only in poetry or the
>work of art, what we are also supposed to remember is that there was a time
>when art still could institute new sayings of being, that there was a
>possibility of new beginnings founded by poets, in other words, how being
>comes to presence. This second point led to Heidegger's later obsession
>with Hegel's pronouncement that art was dead and had lost its place in our
>epoch of being. H=F6lderlin pointed to the possibility that Hegel was wron=
g,
>and that the lightning flash of being which illuminates the shining of the
>gods is still possible.

Thanks for the pithy summary of several hundred pages of densely
articulated prose.

>The frequent interpretation of Andenken that takes it to be somewhat akin
>to Benjamin's counterhistory where "he regards it as his task to brush
>history against the grain" in order to recover the document of barbarism in
>every document of civilization, a task taken up in their different ways by
>Foucault's genealogies and Derrida's recent call for mourning, are tuned to
>far different sensibilities than Heidegger's.

How frequent is this interpretation? I only know of Garcia-Duettmann's
book, "La parole donnee", which advances a sort of discontinuous /
paratactical Heid./Benjamin comparison, with interjections from others
(viz., Rosenzweig and Adorno). Perhaps you're referring to Andrew
Benjamin's work as scholar and editor, which I only know slightly (and
that's only because of my diss. supervisor...) I would think, from your
caricature of Benjamin (and Foucault and Derrida), that the kinships do
indeed seem absurd; I'd rather see a comparison based on the notion of
Eingedenken elaborated in 'Zum Bilde Prousts' (not to mention Adorno's
'Parataxis') and Heid's Andenken.

Regards,
Paul Murphy