Re: Primacy of poetry/language/myth

>Yes and no. What you identify as the 'virile' Hoelderlin I am more than
>willing to let slip (the demigod presiding over the elect, as I somewhat
>impetuously stated earlier). The Hoelderlin I wish to retain -- or, at
>least the Heideggerian Hoelderlin -- is the poet of remembrance and
>moodedness, the poet of Andenken, Heiterkeit (see GA4, "Heimkunft"), Scheu,
>and Trauer.

That's sweet, but despite differences in tone, the 1934 "H=F6lderlin" and
that from later are really very similar. The Grundstimmung of the earlier
lecture, despite its often martial sounds, is "der heilige Trauer." What
this attunement is supposed to attune our thinking (An-denken) to is the
flight of the gods. Since the gods come to presence only in poetry or the
work of art, what we are also supposed to remember is that there was a time
when art still could institute new sayings of being, that there was a
possibility of new beginnings founded by poets, in other words, how being
comes to presence. This second point led to Heidegger's later obsession
with Hegel's pronouncement that art was dead and had lost its place in our
epoch of being. H=F6lderlin pointed to the possibility that Hegel was wrong=
,
and that the lightning flash of being which illuminates the shining of the
gods is still possible.

The frequent interpretation of Andenken that takes it to be somewhat akin
to Benjamin's counterhistory where "he regards it as his task to brush
history against the grain" in order to recover the document of barbarism in
every document of civilization, a task taken up in their different ways by
=46oucault's genealogies and Derrida's recent call for mourning, are tuned t=
far different sensibilities than Heidegger's.

I just can't stop
When my spark gets hot