Re: Primacy of poetry/language/myth

Michael Eldred writes:

>Paul Murphy is not going to let Hoelderlin simply fall by the wayside.

Yes and no. What you identify as the 'virile' Hoelderlin I am more than
willing to let slip (the demigod presiding over the elect, as I somewhat
impetuously stated earlier). The Hoelderlin I wish to retain -- or, at
least the Heideggerian Hoelderlin -- is the poet of remembrance and
moodedness, the poet of Andenken, Heiterkeit (see GA4, "Heimkunft"), Scheu,
and Trauer. This might be a pleonasm, but there is always something
worthy-of-thought in Heid.s lectures and elucidations of Hoelderlin, to the
degree that they expand and elaborate upon some of the (equiprimordial)
modes of Dasein's Being as worked out provisionally in SZ. The critic Max
Kommerell once described Heid's _Erlaeuterungen zu Hoelderlins Dichtung_ as
a 'productive train-wreck', and Heid. basically agreed, in an interesting
letter to MK now available in MK's Briefe (I can track down the textual
reference if anyone is interested). Heid. even went so far as to add that
SZ could be thought in the same manner.

M. Eldred later writes:
>In any case, as Michel Peine-a-mon-coeur points out, there is and there will
>continue to be strife, not just among humankind but more chasmically in
>wresting
>the sense of beyng, the beyng of beings, etc. from self-concealment. Thinking
>has a role to play. And art perhaps too, by taking cognisance of its origins
>in
>techne and considering how it is to, or could essence in today's world.
>
>Beyng loving to hide means that it refuses what has past its time and
>withholds
>what is yet to come. Event-ually, Western humankind will latch on to this play
>of self-concealment.

The motif of 'wresting' is one fraught with danger, with its overtones of
violent struggle (as I suspect it implies a sense of domination / mastery /
Herrschaft). My hypothesis is that this language of wresting (initiated in
SZ, developed in "What is Metaphysics" & in the Rektoratsrede, brought to
an almost apocalyptic -if not suicidal- apotheosis in _Einfuerung in die
Metaphysik_) is substantially altered, if not 'overcome', in the language
of Seinlassen & Gelassenheit, intimated firstly in "Vom Wesen der Wahrheit"
then becoming essentially related to the Sache des Denkens after the
Nietzsche lectures. Through this turn, the sovereign praxis of the
subiectum is turned towards the patient forebearance of thinking which lets
the claim of Being come forth AS such.

Cheers,
Paul N. Murphy
University of Toronto