Re: Flipside to cybernetics

I am intrigued by recent posts connecting 1). Heidegger's analysis of the
way beings go from showing-themselves as objects for willful subjects to
showing themselves within 'Enframing' [Gestell] as 'standing-reserve'
[bestand] with 2). his critique of Being thought metaphysically as
permanent presence (what Derrida calls the epoch of the diapherein). How
phenomenologically accurate does Heidegger's (at least once) prescient
description of our technological understanding of Being remain? E.g., does
Baudrillard's account of the 'triumph of the simulacra'--in which all
beings increasingly enter into a state of 'pure circulation'--extend or
break with Heidegger's understanding? (I.e., can Baudrillard's idea of a
'state of pure circulation' be reduced to the metaphysics of presence, or
might it not rather constitute an even better phenomenological description
of a world which Heidegger had only begun to glimpse?)
Iain

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
"Und wer gut verfolgt, lernt leicht f o l g e n: --ist er doch
einmal--hinterher!"
"And whoever persecutes well, learns readily how _to follow_: for he is
used to going after somebody else!"
--Nietzsche, "The Ugliest [haesslichste] Man" [i.e., the
Socrates-in-Nietzsche], _Zarathustra_ IV.7.

  • Re: Standing presence vs. permanent presence
    • From: Christopher Rickey