a note on staendige Anwesung

Michael Eldred's insistence on attending to the meaning of staendige
Anwesung, which he translates as standing presence, might be further
clarified by examining the term Anwesung. From the verb anwesen, to
presence, Anwesung (which I prefer to translate as presencing, to emphasize
the verbal character) should not be confused with Anwesenheit (presence).
Critics of Heidegger (such as Adorno) attack H's linguistic habit of
ontologizing the factical by imposing abstract nouns on 'empirical'
entities or states-of-affairs, simply by adding 'heit' or 'keit' to them,
e.g. 'Geschichtlichkeit', 'Zeitlichkeit'. Heidegger's practice (as we move
>from 'early' to 'late' Heidegger) is to forestall such objections by
deploying more radical strategies which incorporate the insight into
'ousia' as temporal. So Unverborgenheit (unconcealment) becomes Entbergung
(disclosing), for instance.
This reminds me of Reiner Schuermann's critique of _Zur Sache des Denkens_,
where Heidegger suggests replacing 'Sein und Zeit' with 'Lichtung und
Anwesenheit'. RS corrects Heid. here, saying that it should read 'Lichtung
und Anwesung', which sounds right to me.
Cheers,
Paul N. Murphy
University of Toronto