Re: Silent devotion, conscience, piety etc.

> "Dasein, however, is in itself historical insofar as it is its
possibility.
> In being futural Dasein is its past; it comes back to it in the "how."
The
> manner of its coming back is, among, other things, 'conscience.' Only
the
> how can be repeated. The past--experienced as authentic historicity--is
> anything but what is past. It is something to which I can return again
and
> again."

How can Dasein be its possibility unless it has the dunamis of free will?
It is because man has a free will that he has a historical existence and
animals don't.

This passage is an example of Heidegger at his worst. He's obviously
thinking out loud. Nothing wrong with that, but he is saying commonplace
things in obscure terminology: "I am what I have done; what I've done (and
formed as habits) shapes what I am able to do; I am able to reflect on this
struggle."

Later on he himself realized that the terminology didn't help to break
through to anything important.

Chris Morrissey
More C Communications Inc.
a Microsoft Solution Provider