Re: BEING AND TIME question

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996, Erika wrote:

> _Being_and_Time_, Division I, Chapter 3, Section 14 (p91 of Macquarrie &
> Robinson Translation [H.63]})
> "Thus, to give a phenomenological description of the 'world'
> will mean to exhibit the Being of those entities which are
> present-at-hand within the world, and to fix it in concepts
> which are categorical. Now the entities within the world
> are Things -- Things of Nature, and Things 'invested with
> value' ["wertbehaftete" Dinge].
>
> Where does this "value" idea come from?...To whom is he referring? - I
> mean what theory/what philosopher?...I know the "Nature" reference comes
> from Aristotle, but value I cannot figure. Just off the top of my head,
> I think of Marx...Any Ideas?

One must attend to the inverted commas which indicate that Heidegger is
using someone else's words. He is referring to neo-Kantian philosophy
(which school escapes me at the moment). The point he wishes to make is
that things appear in the world as meaningful and "valuable" as they
appear; contrary to what neo-kantians thought, the value is not "invested"
by the will after the bare empirical appearance of a thing.

Chris

  • Re: BEING AND TIME question
    • From: Erika