Van: owner-heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]Namens Kenneth
Johnson
Verzonden: vrijdag 8 oktober 2004 0:56
Aan: Heidegger List
Onderwerp: Demon Politics

HOBBES AND/OR NORTH:

THE RHETORIC OF AMERICAN NATIONAL SECURITY

Frederick M. Dolan

Ronald Reagan, Oliver L. North and his cabal, and anonymous Pentagon
planners have built a discursive bridge leading back behind Locke to
Hobbes. They have disclosed -in a Heideggerian sense -an America in which
Lockean categories of thought and action are indiscernible, but, as we
shall see, they have not fixed the groundless ground that haunts Hobbes's
project. Instead, they have pushed to the limit the American anxiety over
our schizophrenic coupling of radical freedom with subjection to nature, or
what North calls our "dangerous world." For what must strike anyone who
followed the debates surrounding the Iran-contra affair was their enigmatic
incoherency. Watching Congress's passionate defense of the public's right
to know, coupled with careful avoidance of any leads suggesting improper
actions by the, Central Intelligence Agency, it was difficult not to
conclude that most members of the' committees investigating the Irancontra
affair sensed that their world no longer reflected, and could not reflect,
the theory of constitutionally limited representative democracy they
all-too-hesitantly invoked. It was as if the rhetoric of democracy itself
had been placed sous rature : the committee members could not not speak of
democracy, but neither could they fully convince themselves of the
contemporary relevance of democratic principles . What haunts America now
is a political identity crisis : Are we a Lockean or an Hobbesian society?

really, there is no 'we'. i wish that what would haunt America, is the
question: who are we?