Iain

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
#4. "The spectacle is not a collection of images; rather, it is a social
relationship between people that is mediated by images."

#12. "The spectacle manifests itself as an enormous positivity, out of
reach and beyond dispute. All it says is: 'Everything that appears is
good; whatever is good will appear.' The attitude that it demands in
principle is the same passive acceptance that it has already secured by
means of its seeming incontrovertibility, and indeed by its monopolization
of the realm of appearances."

#44. "The spectacle is a permanent opium war waged to make it impossible
to distinguish goods from commodities, or true satisfaction from a survival
that increases according to its own logic."

#32. "The spectacle's function in society is the concrete manufacture of
alienation."

--Guy Debord,
_The Society of the Spectacle_.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX