Re: Truth?!?

----------
From: owner-heidegger
To: heidegger
Subject: Re: Truth?!?
Date: Monday, September 09, 1996 7:51PM

Excuse me, but is not Heidegger's theory of truth one of disclosure as
oppiosed to one of correspondence between the subjective and the objective?
The planets are disclosed to us as made of material more or less
homogeneous with that of the earth; they were disclosed to Aristotle as
being made of incorruptible matter. What's the problem with that?

If everything is true, then nothing is true. If it is true that red is red,
because it discloses itself to me a such, and it is also tru that red is not
red, because it discloses itself to me a such... then it is true that both
red is red and it is true that red is not red.

This may be an issue of correspondence between subject and objective... but
I am interested in the locus of truth in Heidegger's theory. What difference
does it make that we say the object discloses itself to me as such-and-such,
and therefore it is not really my subjective perception of truth I am
promoting, or that we say "This is my personal truth, and it's just as
truthful as yours"? It seems to me that we still end up with a subjectively
relative notion of truth.

Michael S.