Re: Silent devotion

A silent conscience is a restricted/truncated conscience.

Tom B.

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, M.Eldred_artefact wrote:

>=20
> Cologne, 18 September 1996
>=20
> Allen Scult writes:=20
> "But how does one, even "one of the few and seldom self-selecting ones,"=
=20
> authentically say the sway of truth? The truth sways, it would seem, in=
=20
> the silence of the call of conscience. Can thinking uncover the sway with=
=20
> any more than a "formal indication" of a certain sort of silent devotion=
=20
> (Hingabe), for attending to the call of being? So the truth about truth t=
hat=20
> thinking reveals is distinguished by the way it minimally indicates the=
=20
> limited possibility for saying anything."=20
>=20
> Well, yes, but preferably minus the vocabulary of Christian piety. There =
is=20
> nothing necessarily divine in the event of the truth of being. It could j=
ust as=20
> well be regarded as an unfortunate or fortunate (depending on your standp=
oint)=20
> occurrence that opened history. We're stuck with the opening of aletheia =
and=20
> have to think about it. (Now I anticipate Bob Scheetz drawing some analog=
y or=20
> other with Eve's apple and the knowledge of good and evil.)
>=20
>=20
> Michael
> \\\ =B0 '~': '' /// =B0 artefact text and translation =B0~ \ ' ) '''=
| . \ - =B0
> .{.\ ~. ' ~ { } .\ : ~ =B0=B0=B0 made by art =B0=B0=B0 _ =B0/=
~ : ~:~ \./''/
> http://www.webcom.com/artefact/ {.\ ~. ' ~ { } .\ : artefact@t-online.=
de=20
> vox: (++49 221) 9520 333 fax: (++49 221) 9520 334 Dr Michael Eldred=
=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --- from list heidegger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ---
>=20

'After witnessing the gruesome effect of sanctions on children and families
in Basrah, a city in southern Iraq, one delegation member, Brad Lyttle,
said, 'The sanctions are not spectacular, and operate slowly, but they
kill and maim as remorselessly as bullets and bombs, and are destroying a
generation of Iraqi children.' "=20