RE: Truth, correspondence, dynamis

Michael,

Well, I guess I'm going to have to read what Heidegger says about Aletheia.
I know it as a negative term (can't remember what you call terms like that)
meaning without "lethei" which was in Greek mythology a river in the
underworld (presumably an extension of Orphic doctrine). As I recall, souls
on the way out of (to be born) or into the underworld were forced to drink
>from the river lethei which would make them forget. To be without leithei
was to be without the forgetfullness the soul enforced upon itself. Hence,
an anemnesis would recall the truth that was already known by the soul (and
in psychology, the process of delving into one's past is called the
anemnesis). Now I suppose this whole thing was laid out by Heidegger, and no
doubt demonstrated at least one affinity between Platonic and Heideggerian
thinking -- i.e., that the truth is already always there. So, as soon as I
finish with Lain's suggested reading list (Deryfus on plural worlds) I'm
going to go find out what H. had to say about all this.

This is a very lively discussion group!

Michael S.

  • Re: Truth, correspondence, dynamis
    • From: Paul Murphy