Re: Re: [mpisgmedia] Dharavi

Dear Gita,
Sorry for being quite for so long. Actually I am in Delhi right now... so thought that I wouldn't be of any help for the "Dhravai Model" research.

I really did not know that the model was so famous. There are a lot of work and people that I could refer to:

1. Anirudh Paul (from KRVIA school, since KRVIA has been doing a study of the area since quite some time now.... phone: 26700918)
2. Sonal Shah (again from KRVIA.... she has been doing an evaluation of SRA schemes for her post graduate research... ph: 9820285750)
3. Chandrashekar Prabhu (a real state representative ex MLA, architect and urban planner....who was/is the chairperson to the advisory committee on housing... ph: 9821299484)
4. Mukesh Mehta (the developer/architect... who is behind this whole SRA model becoming Dharavi Model.... When we worked with him, he was talking about getting foreign investments to undertake the developments... I really don't know if that thing continues even today.... ph: 23423952... this was long ago... the number must have changed... but I am sure Anirudh Paul will be able to give his number)
5. Adolf Tragler (from the Slum Rehabilitation Society... an NGO... which I guess broke off from SPARC since SPARC was becoming a developer itself as Tragler claims.... Tragler is working with an alternative model of finance where he sees the capacity of slum dwellers in use.... I don't have his number in my mobile phone... But I am sure again Anirudh Paul will have it... Or else I can give it by tommorrow morning or so.)

Bit of my thesis was looking at the SRA schemes... but more interested in the gossips of development... including the amount that needs and number of windows opened before trying to knock the single window of the Slum Rehabilitation Authority...

I agree with Kedar that the model requires a very high land value as a prerequisit and this particular site of Dharavi is the presently the most well connected place in the city.... In the name of environment and "good" living conditions.... I suspect this model is actually the agent to fecilitate large scale appropriations.... Of course I have reasons for such suspision.... Moreover... the number of resale of the new houses are indicatve of the whole thing.... it is a clssic example where you give the fish but snatch away the tools to fish... especailly when Dharavi is a large industry.... of ceramics...garments...leather...food...etc....

Regards,
Prasad

By the way... Gita... are you in Delhi?